In Peru youth comprise 70% of the entire population!
The younger generation in Peru lives in the midst of intense social problems -- chronic unemployment, alcohol, drugs, abandonment and gangs in most urban areas. Young people from lower class families struggle to survive; the middle class needs education and role models; the upper class focuses on material things and fear losing their wealth in an unstable economy. In this context Jesus-Focused Youth Ministry has served for more than ten years as a catalyst for training youth leaders and for making disciples of teenagers in Peru!
In an environment where training youth leaders has been non-existent, equipping, resourcing and mentoring leaders to transform youth groups and the church is a monumental challenge. Many leaders have begun to take ownership for reaching and discipling teenagers in their own churches. They provide a ministry model for others eager for Jesus-Focused Youth Ministry training.
In 2016-2017, our Peru team plans to:
- Provide Jesus-Focused Youth Ministry training--Levels 1 and 2 for churches in Lima.
- Follow up and mentor the Lima JFYM participants.
- Follow up and mentor the Arequipa JFYM participants.
- Certify new Eagle Leaders.
Reach Out’s History in Peru
- 630 youth leaders from over 30 churches have received Jesus-Focused Youth Ministry training. Some travel 14 hours by bus to attend.
- Leaders have distributed Reach Out’s Spanish resources.
- Leadership has transitioned from leaders in America, who provided yearly training, to Peruvian leaders, who provide ongoing, regular training.
Jesus-Focused Youth Ministry training started with Eagle Leader, Pastor Bill Winton, and youth leaders from his church going to Arequipa, Peru to provide a weekend training Forum. Then in 2008, Cynthia Sundman, along with Reach Out's four Eagle Leaders--Diego Sanz, Mike Pastor, Daniel Polar, and Pedro Garcia--took over the ministry training providing ongoing, regular leadership training in Arequipa and Lima. They focus on training youth leaders who then will equip their churches in JFYM.